This salad…words escape me. Mmmmmmmm. Juicy slices of steak served over grilled kale (and if you aren’t grilling your salad greens yet, you are missing out) and sweet red onion rings…crispy peppery radishes, cool avocado, juicy tomatoes…and the most delicious creamy horseradish dressing. Just, mmmmmmmmm.
Grilled Steak and Crispy Kale Salad with Creamy Horseradish Dressing
For the salad dressing:
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1-3 TBSP of prepared horseradish (depending on how much of kick you like)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 tsp honey
- splash of red wine vinegar
- Big pinch of salt, and pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 4-5 radishes, sliced thinly
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 8-10 ounces of sirloin or ribeye steak, room temperature
- 1 large bunch of kale leaves (about 10-12 stems) – use a hearty variety like curly kale, lacinato, or dino kale
- 1/2 of a small red onion, sliced into thick rings
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
First, prepare the salad dressing – mix all ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Chop radishes, cherry tomatoes, and avocado, and set aside.
Preheat the grill to medium high. Generously sprinkle the steak with salt and pepper and grill to desired doneness (I recommend 3-4 minutes per side, for a medium rare steak). Remove steak from grill and let rest on a cutting board while you prepare the rest of the salad.
Brush all sides of the kale and red onion with olive oil and add to hot grill. Flip kale when the edges start to brown – watch them closely because they only need a few minutes! Cook onion for a few minutes on each side – you want them to be tender and have nice grill marks.
Remove the kale from the stems and place in a large salad bowl (hold the stem with one hand and use the other hand to strip the leafy part off; or, you can cut the stems out). Add radishes, tomatoes, and avocado. Thinly slice the steak and add it on top. Toss with the dressing and enjoy!