Pasta happens to be a favorite in our house, and it’s an incredible vehicle for MORE VEGGIES! This recipe is kid-approved on flavor, and mom-approved on nutrition and prep-ability.
Veggie Pasta the Kids Will Love (and so will you!)
- 16 oz box of dried pasta (can sub gluten-free pasta)
- 24 oz jar of marinara (look for a brand with low/no sugar and preservatives)
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- small bunch of asparagus
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 medium carrots
- 4 cups of spinach or other greens
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- handful of fresh herbs (optional, I used basil, parsley, and oregano)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (omit for dairy free)
Cook pasta according to directions. Chop all vegetables into bite sized pieces. In a very large pan (or in batches), heat olive oil and saute asparagus, zucchini, bell pepper, and carrots until softened, about 10 minutes. Add in greens and minced garlic and cook until greens are wilted.
Mix cooked pasta, marinara sauce, vegetables, and fresh herbs. Pour into a deep 9×13 casserole dish, top with shredded cheese, and cook for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Or for freezer option, pour into 2 smaller casserole dishes, top with shredded cheese, and cover one tightly with saran wrap and foil to freeze. Bake remaining one in oven for 30 minutes.